Need help? Get in touch!
HippoCampus.org is a website that delivers rich multimedia content — videos, animations, and simulations — on general education subjects to middle-school and high-school teachers and college professors, and their students, free of charge.
All members of the NROC Network receive a branded version of HippoCampus to share with staff as a teaching resource and with students as a study resource. HippoCampus is a searchable database of more than 5,700 multimedia learning objects in the NROC library, correlated to state standards. Teachers may readily link to objects in the repository from this website. A designated HippoCampus administrator at your member institution manages the look and feel of this “parent” site, and teachers within your organization may create their own customized classroom “child” versions of the site for their curricular use. This is an open access site, with no logins required of students.
Key HippoCampus features for members include:
- State and National Standards Correlations – NROC content is correlated to state and national standards.
- Textbook Correlations – NROC content is also correlated to leading textbooks for ready reference.
- Custom Correlations – Registered teachers may add correlations to their own custom sites.
- Multiple Content Collections – In addition to content from The NROC Project, HippoCampus has grown to include multimedia learning objects from Khan Academy and the University of Colorado’s PhET program (interactive science and math simulations).
- Multiple Subjects – HippoCampus offers content in Math (Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, Statistics, and Probability), Natural Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Environmental Science), Social Science (History, Government, Economics, and Religion), and Social Science (Religion).
- Four Styles of Multimedia Content – Presentations, Worked Examples, Test Prep, and Simulations are all available for student and instructor use.
- Instructor Customization – Instructors can modify their own HippoCampus site with custom Subject displays, Textbook Correlations, topic-level Annotations, and Playlists.
- Custom Playlists – Instructors can mix and match content from across subjects and collections in HippoCampus by creating Playlists that teachers can present in classrooms, assign for homework or review, or share with students.
You can visit the public HippoCampus site – HippoCampus.org to see all that HippoCampus has to offer.
HippoCampus is designed to provide quick browsing and searching among the ever-growing library of 4,000+ learning objects and your branded HippoCampus site is the fastest way to get NROC content out to your faculty and students. It is as easy as publishing the link to your HippoCampus site. No course configuration and copying and no special log-ins required. Links to any learning object may be used in your favorite applications. Full NROC course views (minus assessments) are also available at HippoCampus.
NOTE: Full NROC course functionality, including assessments for student performance tracking, requires the courses be installed in a Learning Management System (LMS). Installation guides and downloads for each NROC course are accessible via the Courses and Tools pages on this website.
REVIEW THE COLLECTIONS AVAILABLE:
The Collections Document includes updates on the courses as well as collections of learning objects that are available to your faculty and students and is updated when additional collections are added to HippoCampus. New content collections are also announced in our monthly member newsletter when they become available. Note: Many of the learning objects in these collections are correlated to major textbooks as well as state academic standards and the Common Core.
FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH HIPPOCAMPUS:
Instructors can view our tutorials to learn more about HippoCampus, how to use HippoCampus in the classroom, create custom playlists,.etc.
CUSTOMIZING YOUR HIPPOCAMPUS SITE:
The HippoCampus Administrator can customize your Hippocampus site to meet your institutional needs using the administrative credentials provided when your institution joined NROC.
REMEMBER: Any change you make to your branded site using the “administrator” login will impact what end users see and are able to access – make modifications thoughtfully to ensure maximum flexibility for instructors.
We recommend you create a separate log-in to explore teacher functionality and to use for demonstration and training purposes.
If you have forgotten your HippoCampus Administrator credentials, please :contact us:.
Additional webinars are available on the Webinars page.
Publicize your Branded HippoCampus URL
Once you have customized your branded HippoCampus site to your specifications, copy the complete URL, include your “Hippo ID” (i.e. http://hippocampus.org/?user=myXYZ)
Promote the URL freely by:
- Posting your custom Hippo URL at your institutional website
- Embedding the link into learning management system course templates
- Creating a QR code to print it on flyers for around campus and in tutoring centers, computer labs, libraries, etc.
- Including access information in staff news bulletins
- Customizing and sharing a “Teachers Overview of HippoCampus” and the recorded 45-minute webinar “Using HippoCampus in the Classroom” to orient your faculty.